» » VA-15 Valions A-7E (1976) Model

VA-15 Valions A-7E (1976) Model

$249.00

1 in stock (can be backordered)

Description

VA-15 Valions A-7E (1976) Model

Fly off of the USS America again in this A-7E model of the VA-15 Valions. Each model is carved from wood and hand painted to provide a unique piece. ~ 18 inches long.

 

The squadron’s insignia was approved by BuAer on22 April 1942. The theme of the insignia was VT-4 sweeps the seas. The lion represented the squadron’s TBD-1 Devastator, and the six teeth were for the number
of Devastators assigned to it. Colors in the insignia were as follows:circular outline in black; background white; the sea a deep blue with pale blue
marks, torpedo pearl gray with black outline and marks; lion ocher outlined in black with black markings; white eyes outlined in black with black pupils; nose black; teeth
white, lips and mouth red; and the broom was lemon yellow outlined in black with red dashes on lower part of broom.
There is no record of VA-2A’s changing the insignia following its redesignation from VT-4. Three years after the squadron was redesignated, VA-15 requested a modification to the old VT-4 insignia.
On 19 September 1951, CNO approved the modification. The lion was retained to represent the strong attack capabilities of the squadron and the torpedo was replaced by a
missile. The background color of the upper half of the insignia was red to represent the flames of past targets, and the lower half was blue to indicate water and the squadron’s carrier-based
capabilities. Other insignia colors included a white circular border; lion in gold with brown markings; and the missile and ripples in the water white.
This insignia remained with VA-15 until it was disestablished in 1969.
Nickname: Valions, mid-1950s–1969

 

Chronology of Significant Events
10 Jan 1942: Torpedo Squadron FOUR (VT-4) was
established aboard Ranger (CV 4) while the ship was
in port at Grassy Bay, Bermuda.

8 Aug 1943: Ranger, with VT-4 aboard, met the convoy with the liner Queen Mary, which was bringing
Winston Churchill to North America for the Quebec
Conference.
Aug–Nov 1943: VT-4, while deployed aboard Ranger, operated as part of the British Home Fleet.
4 Oct 1943: The squadron participated in Operation Leader and struck at shipping targets around Kunna Head, Norway, while other elements of CVG-4 struck targets at Bodo, Norway. The squadron’s TBF-1 Avengers, along
with its escort of F4F Wildcats, destroyed a German freighter and a small coaster and damaged a troop transport. Oct 1943: VT-4, flying from Ranger, operated with the British Second Battle Squadron and patrolled the waters of the Norwegian Sea.
1 May 1944: CVG-4 reformed as a spare air group with a composition that was designed to include 36 fighter aircraft (F6F), 36 scout-bomber aircraft (SB2C)
and 18 torpedo aircraft (TBF/TBM). This air group

On 1 June 1969 after the first VA-15 was disestablished, the men and equipment were merged with Attack Squadron 67 (VA-67), which had been established on 1 August 1968. On 2 June 1969, the combined squadron was redesignated VA-15 and adopted the insignia and traditions of the Valions. In August 1968, the squadron began training under VA-174 in the A-7 Corsair II.

In October–November 1973 while embarked on USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, the squadron operated in the vicinity of Crete in response to the Yom Kippur War.[2] In June–July 1976 following the assassination of the American Ambassador to Lebanon, VA-15 embarked on USS America operated in the vicinity of Lebanon in support of the evacuation of non-combatants.