USS George C. Marshall SSBN-654 Submarine Model (Black Hull)
Sail again with the crew of the USS George C. Marshall SSBN-654 in this handcrafted wooden submarine model. Each piece is carved from wood and handpainted to provide a piece you’ll love.
Length – 20 inches
USS George C. Marshall (SSBN-654), a Benjamin Franklin-class ballistic missile submarine, was the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for General of the Army George C. Marshall (1880-1959), who served as U.S. Secretary of State from 1947 to 1949 and as U.S. Secretary of Defense from 1950 to 1951.
Construction and commissioning
The contract to build George C. Marshall was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company in Newport News, Virginia, on 29 July 1963 and her keel was laid down there on 2 March 1964. She was launched on 21 May 1965, sponsored by Mrs. George C. Marshall. At the launching ceremony, former U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson (1893–1971) eloquently described George C. Marshall’s strategic deterrent role in the Cold War in this way: “… the waves set up by this launching will go to the furthest reaches of our foreign relations. The very existence of this ship, her power, her mission, her orders, her competence to execute them, will affect more computations, more decisions, than we can readily imagine. Far beyond the Pentagon, the State Department, and the White House, she will add a new factor, a new magnitude, to the correlation of forces by which the communists determine their decisions.”
George C. Marshall was commissioned on 29 April 1966, with Commander Warren Richardson Cobean, Jr. in command of the Blue Crew and Commander Willard Edward Johnson in command of the Gold Crew.
April 1973 successfully performed DASO ballistic missile launch
November 1975 visited Faslane Submarine Base in Scotland
Operated out of Rota Naval Station, Rota, Spain mid-1970’s
Late in 1970’s “George C. Marshall” was caught in a fishing trawler net during a transit from Holy Loch, Scotland, leaving a scar on her sail from the wire
In late 1979 “George C. Marshall” went through an extensive overhaul in the floating dry dock USS Los Alamos (AFDB-7) in Holy Loch, Scotland
Leaving Holy Loch, Scotland, “George C. Marshall” made a port call in Weymouth, England for 2 days
Conducted midshipman ops out of Naval Submarine Base New London, CT
Moved to Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, GA for one patrol and test fired ballistic missiles prior to entering shipyard for overhaul
Moved to Naval Weapons Station Charleston, SC to unload weapons prior to entering overhaul at Newport News Shipyard.
During an overhaul at Newport News Shipbuilding that lasted from 1981 to 1984, George C. Marshall underwent modifications that included the removal of her Mk 45 ASTOR (and the related 4FZ alarm system) and her Mark 14 torpedo and Mark 37 torpedo capabilities and the installation of a Mobile Submarine Simulator (MOSS) decoy capability on tubes 3 and 4.
In July 1986 “George C. Marshall” made a port call in Naples, Italy for 4 days.
History needed for 1984-1992.
George C. Marshall conducted 78 strategic deterrent patrols during her career and was one of the last units to leave Holy Loch, Scotland, following the closing of that base in 1992. She conducted her last dive off San Diego, California, in 1992 on her way to Bremerton, Washington, for decommissioning.
Decommissioning and disposal
George C. Marshall was decommissioned on 24 September 1992 and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register the same day. Her scrapping via the Nuclear-Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program at Bremerton was completed on 28 February 1994.