84th Fighter Interceptor Squadron F-89 Model
Fly with the 84th Fighter Interceptor Squadron in this handcrafted F-89 Model. Each piece is carved from wood and handpainted to provide a piece you’ll love.
The squadron was activated in 1942, as the 84th Pursuit Squadron (Interceptor). Soon after its activation the US Army transferred the squadron to England where it lost a majority of its pilots and planes to the American war effort in North Africa. During the war the 84th flew missions ranging from bomber escort, ground attack, counter-air, and close air support.
In April 1943, the unit was involved in its first combat mission in North Africa. In June 1944, the 84th supported the Allied landings at Normandy and directly contributed to the breakthrough at Saint-Lô in July 1944. In September 1944, the squadron contributed to the Allied victory in the Arnhem-Nijmegen airborne landings; notably, they suppressed numerous ground positions during the airborne assault and were credited with saving scores of American and British troop transports. For this action the 84th received the Distinguished Unit Citation.
In December 1944 the 84th began flying the North American P-51 Mustang. They used their new plane very successfully and on 10 April destroyed 58 aircraft on the ground earning the 84th its second Distinguished Unit Citation. In April 1945 the 84th flew its last combat mission escorting British bombers on their way to Hitler’s “Eagles Nest”. The squadron completed three years overseas and was credited with 260 Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed.
Air Defense Command
84th Fighter Interceptor Squadron F-84D 48–750, about 1950
84th FIS McDonnell F-101B Voodoo 59-0461 at Ent AFB, Colorado in 1964[clarification needed]
Convair F-106A Delta Dart 57-2504 of the 84th FIS
The 84th served as part of the [[military occupation}occupation]] forces until it transferred to the United States in June 1947, where it eventually assumed an air defense mission. Assigned to Air Defense Command and again equipped with Mustangs at Hamilton Air Force Base, California with a mission for the air defense of San Francisco and the Bay Area. It was upgraded to Republic F-84D Thunderjet jet aircraft in 1949, and equipped with first-generation Northrop F-89B Scorpions in 1951.
The Scorpion was difficult to fly, costly to maintain, and was subject to mishaps. The squadron was re-equipped with the Lockheed F-94C Starfire in 1953 which it flew throughout the balance of the 1950s, acquiring newer F-94Ds in 1956 and the F-94J in 1957.
In 1960 it received the new McDonnell F-101B Voodoo supersonic interceptor, and the F-101F operational and conversion trainer. The two-seat trainer version was equipped with dual controls, but carried the same armament as the F-101B and were fully combat-capable.
On 22 October 1962, before President John F. Kennedy told Americans that missiles were in place in Cuba, the squadron dispersed one third of its force, equipped with nuclear tipped missiles to Kingsley Field at the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis. These planes returned to Hamilton after the crisis. Although the number of ADC interceptor squadrons remained almost constant in the early 1960s, attrition (and the fact that production lines closed in 1961) caused a gradual drop in the number of planes assigned to a squadron, from 24 to typically 18 by 1964. To make up for attrition of F-101s, ADC inactivated the 83d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron at Hamilton. Six of these aircraft were retained at Hamilton and the 84th’s strength went from 18 to 24 aircraft
In 1966, F-101s were featured in the film The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming. The F-101Bs were transferred to the Air National Guard and 1968 and replaced by Convair F-106 Delta Darts.
It moved to Castle Air Force Base, California in 1973 as part of the shutdown of Hamilton. It was inactivated in 1981 as the interceptor mission was being transferred to the Air National Guard.