54th Jesters Refueling Squadron KC-135
Fly with the Jesters 54th Refueling Squadron in this hand crafted KC-135R model. Each piece is carefully carved from wood to provide a piece you’ll love. 18 inches
The 54th Transport Squadron was activated at Hamilton Field, California, but moved to Bowman Field, Kentucky, in June 1942, as the 54th Troop Carrier Squadron. Successive reassignments were to Florence Army Air Field, South Carolina, in August 1942, and to Elmendorf Field, Alaska, until inactivation on 5 March 1949. While there the 54th deployed to Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany, to support the Berlin Airlift. That inactivation lasted only six months and on 20 September 1949, the unit was activated again at Elmendorf and again moved to Donaldson Air Force Base, South Carolina, in July 1956, remaining in service until 25 June 1965.
On 14 April 1972, the 54th received a new mission and name. It became the 54th Flying Training Squadron, and was reassigned to Reese Air Force Base, Texas, with an official activation date of 1 October. Here personnel trained new pilots in the T-38 Talon until the 54th was once again inactivated in April 1997.
The 54th Air Refueling Squadron was reactivated at its current home of Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma on 16 January 1998. The 54th Air Refueling Squadron the only Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker flying training squadron in Air Education and Training Command. The squadron provides KC-135R initial and advanced flight qualification. The squadron’s mission continues to encompass the training of all active duty, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve and international KC-135 crewmembers. Over 70 instructors train 450 pilot and boom operator students annually for the Department of Defense and international customers. Wiki