4950th Test Wing KC-135A Model
Fly with the 4950 Test Wings in this hand crafted KC-135 model. Each piece is carefully carved from wood and hand painted to provide a piece you’ll love.
Length – 18 inches
The 4950th Test Wing, a wing of the United States Air Force, was established in March 1971.
It was created as the flying unit of the Wright Air Development Center, which was created in June 1951. Wright ADC changed to Division status in December 1959 until it was replaced by the Aeronautical Systems Division (ASD) in April 1961. The 4951st, 4952d and 4953d Test Squadrons were activated in July 1975 and based at the West Ramp (a former Strategic Air Command facility) of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
ASD is responsible for the design, development and acquisition of aeronautical systems including transports, tankers and utility aircraft, rescue helicopters, long- and short-range air-to-surface missiles, aircraft engines and electronic warfare systems. In addition, the wing supported programs conducted by other AFMC departments. The majority of AFMC’s large transport aircraft were assigned to the 4950th Test Wing and were loaned to other agencies as required. The 4950th Test Wing operated a variety of testbed C-135s, many of which have featured major modifications. The wing was consolidated with the AFMC Flight Test Center’s 412th Test Wing at Edwards AFB, CA and inactivated in 1994. Wiki