445th FIS F-89 Model
Fly with the 445th FIS in this handcrafted F-89 model. Each piece is carved from wood and handpainted to provide a piece you’ll love.
Air Defense Command
445th FIS Northrop F-89H Scorpion 54-0402 at Wurtsmith AFB, MI
445th FIS emblem(approved 24 November 1958)
445th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron McDonnell F-101F Voodoo 57-307 Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan, September 1968
It was reactivated under Air Defense Command in March 1953 at Geiger Field, Washington. In July, the first F-86D Sabre interceptors were assigned. The pilots and airmen were relatively inexperienced and the maintenance crew small. The high point in July 1954 was “Operation Checkpoint,” a joint SAC-ADC exercise that extended for three days. With sunny days and early takeoffs, the pilots’ proficiency increased rapidly and aircraft maintenance became the best in ADC.
In August 1954, “Project Arrow” replaced the 445th FIS with the 497th FIS that was moved up from Portland, Oregon. The 445th FIS was transferred, on paper only, to Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Michigan in 1955 performing air defense duties over the Great Lakes area and upper Midwest equipped with F-89D Scorpions. The 445th FIS was upgraded to the new F-89G Scorpion in March 1956 (the first F-89G squadron in ADC); and upgraded to the F-89J in September 1957.
It was re-equipped with new McDonnell F-101B Voodoo supersonic interceptor, and the F-101F operational and conversion trainer in 1960. The two-seat trainer version was equipped with dual controls, but carried the same armament as the F-101B and were fully combat-capable. On 22 October 1962, before President John F. Kennedy told Americans that missiles were in place in Cuba, the squadron dispersed one third of its force, equipped with nuclear tipped missiles to Phelps Collins Air National Guard Base at the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis. These planes returned to Wurtsmith after the crisis.
The squadron operated the Voodoos until September 1968, when the aircraft were passed along to the Air National Guard and the squadron was inactivated as part of the general drawdown of the ADC active-duty interceptor force