357th Airlift Squadron C-130H2 Model
Fly with the 357th Airlift Squadron in this hand crafted C-130H2 Model. Each model is carved from wood and hand painted to provide a unique piece that will always be treasured.
Length – 16 inches
The 357th Airlift Squadron is a Tactical Airlift unit of the United States Air Force assigned to the Air Force Reserve Command and part of the 908th Airlift Wing at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. It operates Lockheed C-130H Hercules aircraft providing global airlift. The 357th AS operates (8) C-130H2 aircraft that were built in the 1990’s, which utilize Flight Engineers and Navigators, along with the crew complement of Pilots and Loadmasters.
The 908th Airlift Wing contributes to our nation’s defense by providing airlift and related services through the dedicated efforts of more than 1,200 Reservists and eight C-130 Hercules aircraft. Unit Reservists fly approximately 1 million miles annually engaging in training operations and supporting real-world missions. The 908th Airlift Wing, home based at historic Maxwell-Gunter AFB in Montgomery, Ala., is the state’s only Air Force Reserve unit. The day-to-day operations of the 908th are handled by a group of approximately 175 civil servants known as Air Reserve Technicians who also serve as Reservists, and a small number of civilian employees who do not have Reserve status.
World War II
Constituted as 357 Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 28 January 1942. Activated on 1 June 1942 as a Consolidated B-24 Liberator Operational Training Unit, later becoming a Replacement Training Unit (RTU) for deployed combat units, assigned to II Bomber Command. Inactivated on 10 April 1944.
Redesignated as a Boeing B-29 Superfortress very heavy bombardment Squadron under Second Air Force on 1 April 1944 at Dalhart Army Air Field, Texas. Initially equipped with Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses for training, due to shortage of Superfortresses. Moved to McCook Army Air Field, Nebraska in August 1944 and equipped with B-29B limited production aircraft.
After completion of training deployed to Central Pacific Area, assigned to XXI Bomber Command at Northwest Field (Guam) for operational missions. B-29Bs were standard production aircraft stripped of most defensive guns to increase speed and bomb load, The tail gun was aimed and fired automatically by the new AN/APG-15B radar fire control system that detected the approaching enemy plane and made all the necessary calculations.
Mission of the squadron was the strategic bombardment of the Japanese Home Islands. Entered combat on 16 June 1945 with a bombing raid against an airfield on Moen. Flew first mission against the Japanese home islands on 26 June 1945 and afterwards operated principally against the enemy’s petroleum industry. Flew primarily low-level, fast attacks at night using a mixture of high-explosive and incendary bombs to attack targets.
Flew last combat mission on 15 August 1945, later flew in “show of Force” mission on 2 September 1945 over Tokyo Bay during formal Japanese Surrender. Inactivated on Guam 15 April 1946, personnel returned to the United States and aircraft sent to storage in Southwest United States. It was credited with participating in the Air Offensive, Japan; Eastern Mandates, and Western Pacific campaigns. The squadron received the Distinguished Unit Citation: Japan, 22–29 July 1945.