VT-27 Boomers Squadron Patch – No Hook and Loop
A 4″ squadron patch VT-27 Boomers Squadron Patch – No Hook and Loop
Training Squadron TWENTY-SEVEN was initially established on July 11, 1951 as Advanced Training Unit-B at Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi. The command moved to Naval Air Station, Kingsville in 1952 and again to Naval Air Station, New Iberia, Louisiana in 1960. It was there the squadron was redesignated VT-27. In July 1964, the “Boomers” were returned to Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi where we continue to be an important member of the community.
One of just five Navy primary training squadrons, VT-27 is one of two located on the Coastal Bend; we take pride in representing our area and the State of Texas.
In 1973, the squadron began a transition to the role of primary training squadron with the arrival on 1 August of the first T-28 Trojan. By 1 October 1973, the last TS-2A, had departed, signifying the end of the advanced training role and the completion of the transition to primary training. In August 1983, the squadron took delivery of the first T-34C Mentor aircraft. Since March 1984, when the last T-28 ever used for naval flight training departed, the T-34C has been the mainstay of the Navy and Marine Corps primary flight training.
The “Boomers” average well over 11,000 training missions a year, and more than 70 sorties per training day. Since taking delivery of the T-34C, our safety record sets the standard for excellence in CNATRA. Expected to achieve high levels of production while maintaining the highest standards of safety, VT-27 consistently accomplishes its important mission by producing Navy and Marine Corps pilots of the highest quality for our nation’s defense