Patrol Squadron 92 and the Minutemen on this14 inch solid wood plaque.
The use of naval aviation insignia is a modern form of heraldry that dates back to the early period of naval aviation in the 1920’s and captures many proud moments of its history. The practice fosters a sense of pride, unit cohesion and contributes to high morale, esprit de corps and professionalism within the community. It also serves as an effective means of preserving a command’s tradition, continuity of purpose and recognition, as traced through its lineage. The following rules are provided to ensure that all command insignia and slogans are in keeping with the highest traditions of the proud naval aviation heritage.
The VP-92 Patrol Squadron was formed in 1970 at South Weymouth Naval Air Station, and was originally equipped with P-2 Neptune aircraft. In 1975 the squadron transitioned to the P-3A. Over the years these aircraft were updated to provide the squadron with high-quality aircraft. In 1995, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission decided to close South Weymouth Naval Air Station and move the squadron to Brunswick Naval Air Station. They relocated in July 1996. In 2005, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission decided to close Brunswick Naval Air Station and disestablish VP-92.