VF-191 Satan’s Kittens Plaque
A beautifully carved 14 inch solid wood plaque of the VF-191 Satan’s Kittens! VF-191 became famous when the Blue Angels dissolved because they all had volunteered for combat duty in Korea.
The use of naval aviation insignia is a modern form of heraldry that dates back to the early period of naval aviation in the 1920’s and captures many proud moments of its history. The practice fosters a sense of pride, unit cohesion and contributes to high morale, esprit de corps and professionalism within the community. It also serves as an effective means of preserving a command’s tradition, continuity of purpose and recognition, as traced through its lineage. The following rules are provided to ensure that all command insignia and slogans are in keeping with the highest traditions of the proud naval aviation heritage.
VF-191 was established as fighter squadron VF-19 on 15 August 1943. On 15 November 1946 it was re-designated VF-19A. On 24 August 1948 it was finally re-designated VF-191 and adopted the new nickname Satan’s Kittens. It was disestablished on 1 March 1978.
VF-191 and sister squadron VF-194 were the two shortest-lived F-14 squadrons in history. The original VF-191 took part in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. During the latter conflict the squadron took part in several combat cruises, flying variants of the F-8 Crusader. After Vietnam VF-191 continued operations with the F-8 until 1976, when they transitioned to the F-4 Phantom II. A single cruise in the F-4 followed, as VF-191 was disestablished in 1978.