VAP-62 Tigers Squadron Patch – Plastic Backing
A 3.8″W x 4.1″H squadron patch of the VAP-62 Tigers with plastic backing.
VAP-62 was a Heavy Photographic Squadron of the U.S. Navy. Originally established as Photographic Squadron Sixty-Two (VJ-62) on 10 April 1952, it was redesignated as Heavy Photographic Squadron (VAP-62) on 2 July 1956. The squadron was disestablished on 15 October 1969.
1 September–19 December 1952: A squadron detachment was deployed to Dhahran Air Force Base in Saudi Arabia.
29 July 1960: During a landing aboard USS Saratoga (CV-60), the squadron’s commanding officer, Commander C. T. Frohne, and two other squadron crewmembers, were lost when the tailhook of their A3D-2P Skywarrior separated and the aircraft plunged off the deck into the sea.
October 1966: The squadron transferred a detachment of aircraft and personnel to VAP-61 to augment that squadron’s operations in Vietnam.
25 August 1967: A squadron RA-3B #144835 disappeared on a nighttime photo-reconnaissance mission, the 3 man crew were killed in action, body not recovered.
Home port assignments
The squadron was assigned to these home ports, effective on the dates shown:
NAS Jacksonville – 10 April 1952
NAAS Sanford – 20 October 1952
NAS Norfolk – July 1955
NAS Jacksonville – 15 August 1957
The squadron first received the following aircraft on the dates shown:
PB4Y-1P/P4Y-1P Privateer – May 1952
AJ-2P Savage – September 1952
F7F-4N Tigercat – May 1953
A3D-1P/A3D-2P/RA-3B Skywarrior – 14 October 1957