VA-66 Waldos Plaque
A beautifully carved 14 inch solid wood plaque of the VA-66 Waldos! Show your aviation lineage with truly artistic craftsmanship of the Navy’s finest symbols.
The use of naval aviation insignia is a modern form of heraldry that dates back to the early period of naval aviation in the 1920’s and captures many proud moments of its history. The practice fosters a sense of pride, unit cohesion and contributes to high morale, esprit de corps and professionalism within the community. It also serves as an effective means of preserving a command’s tradition, continuity of purpose and recognition, as traced through its lineage. The following rules are provided to ensure that all command insignia and slogans are in keeping with the highest traditions of the proud naval aviation heritage.
The squadron’s second insignia was approved by CNO on 25 January 1955. This insignia, a rooster toting a machine gun, became a well known design during the next three decades. Colors for the insignia were: a black background outlined in red; the rooster was red with black markings; his feet and beak were yellow, as well as the life vest; the face, hands and neck were white with black markings and he had black eyes; his claws and spurs were gray; the machine gun was gray with black markings and white smoke trailing from the barrel; and the banner was white, outlined in black and with black letters.
The insignia continued in use following the squadron’s redesignation on 1 July 1955.
Nickname: Waldomen, circa 1950s-early 1960s.
Waldos, circa early 1960s–1987.