VA-56 Champions Plaque
A beautifully carved 14 inch solid wood plaque of the VA-56 Champions! Show your aviation lineage with truly artistic craftsmanship of the Navy’s finest symbols.
The use of naval aviation insignia is a modern form of heraldry that dates back to the early period of naval aviation in the 1920’s and captures many proud moments of its history. The practice fosters a sense of pride, unit cohesion and contributes to high morale, esprit de corps and professionalism within the community. It also serves as an effective means of preserving a command’s tradition, continuity of purpose and recognition, as traced through its lineage. The following rules are provided to ensure that all command insignia and slogans are in keeping with the highest traditions of the proud naval aviation heritage.
The squadron’s insignia was officially approved by CNO on 25 March 1957. A boomerang with a speed arrow and electron rings represented the squadron’s capabilities as a jet attack squadron with modern electronic equipment. The circular insignia had a gold circumference outlined in dark blue, with a white background; a yellow boomerang outlined in dark blue and with white racing strips; dark blue speed arrow and stars; and the electron rings and banner lettering were black with a white banner outlined in dark blue and gold. Nickname: Boomerangs, 1957-circa 1958.
Champions, circa 1958–1986.