Home » Aircraft Models » Attack Aircraft Models » A-6 Intruder Model » VA-55 Warhorses A-6E Intruder Model, 1/36th Scale, Mahogany, Navy

VA-55 Warhorses A-6E Intruder Model, 1/36th Scale, Mahogany, Navy


1 in stock (can be backordered)


VA-55 Warhorses A-6E Model
Proudly display this 18 inch wooden model of the VA-55 Warhorses A-6 Intruder.  Each model is carefully carved and painted by master craftsman.  This is perfect for the goat locker or office and will provide a perfect aid for aviator told stories!


Length: 18 inches
Wingspan: 17.4 inches
A-6E Intruder/Bu. 158051

1971: Delivered to the US Navy.
1978-79: VA-75 as AC-500.
1984: VMA(AW)-533 as AA-500.
1988: VA-55 as AK-500.
1990-91: VA-36 as AJ-530.
1993: VA-205 as AF-501.
6/1993: Put into storage at the AMARC bone yard.

*Price includes weapons and brass medallion

15 Feb 1943: VGS-30 was disestablished and personnel from the squadron were used to form VT-5 and VF-1.
6–24 Jul 1943: The squadron departed Norfolk, Virginia embarked in USS Yorktown (CV-10) en route to the Hawaiian Islands via the Panama Canal.
31 Aug 1943: Embarked in Yorktown, the squadron participated in a raid on Marcus Island.
5–6 Oct 1943: The squadron participated in a raid on Wake Island.
Nov–Dec 1943: The squadron supported the Battle of Makin and the Battle of Tarawa, and flew strikes against Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands.
Jan–Feb 1944: The squadron provided air support for the Gilbert and Marshall Islands campaign.
16–17 Feb 1944: Squadron aircraft flew strikes against the Japanese stronghold of Truk.
22 Feb 1944: The squadron participated in a raid on the Marianas, striking targets on Saipan.
30 Mar–1 Apr 1944: Squadron aircraft struck ships and facilities at Palau in the Caroline Islands. The strike on 30 March was the first time the squadron’s TBFs were armed with torpedoes in combat.
21–23 Apr 1944: Strikes were flown against targets on Wakde Island and Hollandia in New Guinea. These operations were in support of the landings at Hollandia by General Douglas MacArthur’s forces.
29–30 Apr 1944: The squadron participated in another strike operation against Truk.
30 Apr 1944: The squadron’s commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander Dick Upson, failed to return from a search and rescue mission to locate a downed pilot.
14 May 1944: Following a ten-month combat tour beginning in August 1943, Air Group 5 was relieved aboard Yorktown by Air Group 1 and returned to CONUS to reform on 25 June 1944.
07 Feb 1945: Embarked in USS Franklin (CV-13), the squadron departed NAS Alameda for Hawaii, arriving there on 13 February. This was the beginning of the squadron’s second major combat tour in the Pacific.
19 Mar 1945: VT-5 was preparing to launch its aircraft for an attack against the city of Kobe, Japan, when the Franklin was hit by two enemy bombs from a Japanese aircraft. Fires were ignited on the second and third decks from the first bomb and the second triggered munitions on the carrier. All VT-5’s aircraft on the flight and hangar deck were destroyed by the ensuing explosions and fire. The damage was one of the most extensive experienced by an Essex class carrier during World War II. A total of 724 men were killed and 265 wounded. VT-5’s commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander Edmands, was lost in the action. All surviving VT-5 personnel were transferred from Franklin and returned to CONUS.
3 Jul 1950: Participated in the first combat strikes by carrier aircraft against the North Koreans. The squadron flew its AD-4 Skyraiders on strikes against airfields, supply lines and transportation facilities in and around Pyongyang, North Korea. This was also the first use of the AD Skyraider in combat.
12 Sep 1950: Pre-invasion strikes against targets in and around Inchon and Seoul, Korea, began in preparation for the Battle of Inchon.
15 Sep 1950: Strikes were flown to support the landings at Inchon.
16 May 1951: All VA-55 personnel, except 16 officers and 5 enlisted men, embarked USNS General William Weigel (TAP-119) en route to Japan for duty with Air Group 19 aboard USS Princeton (CV-37). The remainder of the personnel were airlifted to Ja