VA-214 Volunteers Squadron Patch – Plastic Backing
VA-214, nicknamed the Volunteers, was a short-lived Attack Squadron of the U.S. Navy. It was the second squadron to bear the VA-214 designation, the first VA-214 was disestablished on 16 May 1949.
The squadron was established as Fighter Squadron VF-214 on 30 March 1955, and redesignated as VA-214 on 11 October 1956. The squadron, based at NAS Moffett Field, California, was the first West Coast squadron to make an extended deployment to WESTPAC with the new FJ-4B Fury. It was disestablished on 1 August 1958.
The squadron first received the following aircraft on the dates shown:
FJ-3 Fury – 31 Mar 1955
F9F-8 Cougar – Nov 1955
FJ-4B Fury – 18 Jun 1957