USS Washburn AKA-108 – Plastic Backing
A squadron patch of the USS Washburn- AKA-108 with plastic backing
USS Washburn (AKA-108) was a Tolland-class attack cargo ship of the United States Navy, named after Washburn County, Wisconsin. She was designed to carry military cargo and landing craft, and to use the latter to land weapons, supplies, and Marines on enemy shores during amphibious operations. She served as a commissioned ship for 24 years and 11 months. A large scale model of the ship is in the U.S. Navy Museum in Washington, DC.
Washburn was laid down as a Type C2-S-AJ3 ship on 24 October 1944 at Wilmington, North Carolina, by the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1801); launched on 18 December 1944; sponsored by Maj. K. A. Towle, USMCR; delivered to the Navy in an incomplete state on 30 December 1944; and completed at the Todd-Hoboken shipyard at Hoboken, N.J., where she was commissioned on 17 May 1945, Comdr. W. C. Jackson, USNR, in command.