USS Randolph (CVS-15) Patch – Sew On
A 3 3/4″W x 4 1/16″H squadron patch of the USS Randolph (CVS-15).
USS Randolph (CV/CVA/CVS-15) was one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. The second US Navy ship to bear the name, she was named for the frigate Randolph of the Continental Navy, (which had been named for Peyton Randolph, president of the First Continental Congress). Randolph was commissioned in October 1944, and served in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations, earning three battle stars. Decommissioned shortly after the end of the war, she was modernized and recommissioned in the early 1950s as an attack carrier (CVA), and then eventually became an antisubmarine carrier (CVS). In her second career she operated exclusively in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean. In the early 1960s she served as the recovery ship for two Project Mercury space missions, including John Glenn’s historic first orbital flight.
She was decommissioned in 1969 and sold for scrap in 1975.
Construction and commissioning
Randolph was one of the “long-hull” Essex-class ships. She was laid down on 10 May 1943 in Shipway 10, at Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Virginia. She was launched on 28 June 1944, sponsored by Rose Gillette (wife of Guy M. Gillette, a US Senator from Iowa). Randolph commissioned on 9 October 1944, Captain Felix Locke Baker, USN in command.