USS COLUMBUS CG-12 Patch – Sew On
A 4.5 inch squadron patch of the USS COLUMBUS CG-12.
The third USS Columbus (CA-74), a Baltimore-class heavy cruiser, was the first ship of the United States Navy named for Columbus, Ohio. She was launched on 30 November 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Massachusetts; she was sponsored by Mrs. E. G. Meyers; and commissioned on 8 June 1945, Captain Allen Hobbs in command.
USS Columbus in 1963
30 September 1959–31 January 1975
On 30 September 1959, the USS Columbus was retrofitted as an Albany class Guided Missile Cruiser, joining USS Albany (CG-10) and USS Chicago (CG-11) as the only three ships of this line, and reclassified CG-12. USS Columbus (CG-12) was subsequently recommissioned on 1 December 1962 (following a much shorter conversion period than either Chicago or Albany), though a year and half long work-up and testing of her new weapons system delayed her first deployment to the western Pacific until August 1964.
The 1959 Albany-class refit of USS Columbus left CG-12 with the following armaments:
RIM-8 Talos – 2 twin Talos SAM launch systems
Fore: Systems 1 & 2, with one launcher; Aft: Systems 7 & 8, with one launcher
RIM-24 Tartar – 2 twin Tartar SAM launch systems
Starboard: Systems 3 & 5 with MK11 launcher; Port: Systems 4 & 6 with MK11 launcher
Anti-Submarine – 1 eight-tube ASROC system
Torpedoes – 2 triple-tube Mk-32 torpedo systems
two open mount 5 in (130 mm) naval guns port and starboard midships