Commander-Pacific Fleet Attack Wing Patch – Sew On
A squadron patch of the Pacific Fleet Attack Wing with plastic backing.
The United States Pacific Fleet (USPACFLT) is a Pacific Ocean theater-level component command of the United States Navy that provides naval forces to the United States Indo-Pacific Command. Fleet headquarters is at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, with large secondary facilities at North Island, San Diego Bay on the Mainland.
A Pacific Fleet was created in 1907 when the Asiatic Squadron and the Pacific Squadron were combined. In 1910, the ships of the First Squadron were organized back into a separate Asiatic Fleet. The General Order 94 of 6 December 1922 organized the United States Fleet, with the Battle Force as the Pacific presence. Until May 1940, the Battle Force was stationed on the west coast of the United States. Headquarters, battleships. aircraft carriers and heavy cruisers, were stationed in Los Angeles Harbor [San Pedro], close to the [Long Beach] Naval Shipyard. Light cruisers, destroyers and submarines were stationed at [San Diego]. During the summer of that year, as part of the U.S. response to Japanese expansionism, it was instructed to take an “advanced” position at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Long term basing at Pearl Harbor was so strongly opposed by the commander, Admiral James O. Richardson, that he personally protested in Washington. Political considerations were thought sufficiently important that he was relieved by Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, who was in command at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
The Pacific Fleet was formally recreated on 1 February 1941. On that day General Order 143 split the United States Fleet into separate Atlantic, Pacific, and Asiatic Fleets.