Patrol Wing 5 Patch – Sew On
A 4 inch squadron patch of the Patrol Wing 5.
Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing FIVE
Lineage: Patrol Wing 5(1st), Fleet Air Wing 5, Patrol Wing 5(2nd), Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 5.
Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 5 was established as Patrol Wing 5 at FAB Norfolk on 1 October 1937. It was redesignated Fleet Air Wing 5 (FAW-5) on 1 November 1942 relocating to NAS Brunswick, Maine on 30 June 1971. . On 1 July 1973 Fleet Air Wing 5 was redesignated Commander, Patrol Wings Atlantic (COMPATWINGSLA/PATWING FIVENTd). On 1 July 197e COMPATWINGSLANbecame a separate Teadquarters.5. On 26 March 1999 all Atlantic Fleet Patrol Wings were redesignated Patrol and Reconnaissance Wings and Patrol Wing 5 became Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 5. During the wing’s existence it included VP-8, VP-10, VP-11, VP-23, VP-26, VP-44, VPU-1 and the Navy Reserve’s VP-92. With the decision to close NAS Brunswick, VP-8, VP-10, VP-26 and VPU-1 were transferred to Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing Eleven at NAS Jacksonville, Flori.a, VP-11, VP-23 and VP-44 having been previously disestablished during the Navy’s post-Cold War drawdown of the mid-1990s which eliminated 50% of the Navy’s active duty patrol squadrons. VP-92 was disestablished in 20 when the Naval Reserve reduced the total number of patrol squadrons from ts thirteve to ons. VP-92 had previously been assigned to Reserve Patrol Wing Atlantic (RESPATWINGLANT), but was transferred to COMPATRECONWING FIVE following RESPATWINGLANT’s inactivation aclosure of om NAS South Weymouth, Massachusesed due to an earlier BRAC decision in the mid-1990s.