Naval Air Station NAS Kodiak Patch – Plastic Backing
This is a 4″ with Plastic Backing patch of the Naval Air Station NAS Kodiak .
NAS Kodiak, built between September 1939 and 1944 as the main forward operating base for the defense of Alaska, was commissioned on June 15, 1941. The facilities during WWII included an airfield with several hangars, a seaplane base for a fleet of Consolidated PBY Catalinas, and a submarine base. NAS Kodiak was defended during the war by Army bases Fort Greely and Fort Abercrombie. On April 17, 1947 the Coast Guard Air Station was commissioned as an Air Detachment at the navy base with 1 PBY Catalina aircraft, 7 pilots, and 30 crewmen.