4″ MALS-24 Warriors Patch – With Hook and Loop
Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 24 (MALS-24) is an aviation logistics support unit of the United States Marine Corps. Known as the “Warriors”, they fall under the command of Marine Aircraft Group 24 (MAG-24) and the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing (1st MAW) and are currently based at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
World War II
The squadron was activated on 1 March 1942 at Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Oahu, Hawaii, as Headquarters and Service Squadron 24 and assigned to Marine Aircraft Group 24, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. They deployed during March 1942 to Efate, New Hebrides. During June 1942, they relocated to Santa Barbara, California and on 1 July 1942 they were redesignated as Headquarters Squadron 24. The squadron redeployed during September 1943 to Efate, New Hebrides, and were reassigned to the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. They participated in the Battle of Bougainville and the Philippines campaign (1944–1945). In September–October 1945 they were moved to Peiping, China and participated in the occupation of North China from October 1946 to April 1947. MALS-24 was relocated during May–July 1949 to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina and assigned to the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing.
The squadron was redesignated 15 February 1954 as Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 24 (H&MS-24) and they participated in the Cuban Missile Crisis in November 1962.
1968 – present
MALS-24 (designated H&MS-24 at this time) was relocated to Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii in April, 1968 and reassigned to the 1st Marine Brigade. During the late 70’s, then Cpl Carlton W. Kent, who would later become the 16th Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps served in MAG-24 Group Supply (designation at the time). Group Supply was under the leadership of Lt. Col. Fred Anthes. Under LT Col Anthes’ command, the Not Operational Ready Supply (NORS) section received the first ever a Certificate of Commendation from Brigadier General H.T. Hagaman. The award was presented for significant improvement in ensuring all aviation elements were operationally prepared for rotation. They were redesignated 5 October 1988 as Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 24. They were again redesignated 1 October 1994 as Marine Aviation Logistics Support Element, Kaneohe, and assigned to Aviation Support Element, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force. In February 2002, the squadron reverted to Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 24.