HMH-777 Flying Armadillos Patch –Sew On
4.5 inch patch
Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 777
HMH-777 originally activated in 1959 as HMR-777. The squadron, the second to be formed at Dallas, was also the last Reserve helicopter squadron to be activated. In April 1962, the squadron was redesignated HMM-777. Later that year the Marine Aviation Reserve Training Command was reorganized and several squadrons were deactivated, including the other Dallas-based squadron HMM-762, which was absorbed by HMM-777.
In 1971, the squadron traded in its aging UH-34Ds for the CH-53A, and was redesignated HMH-777.
In 1980, HMH-777 fell victim to another round of budget cuts and was deactivated. The squadron personnel and aircraft formed MARINE HEAVY HELICOPTER SQUADRON 772, Detachment B.
Activated 15 April 1959 at Dallas, TX, as MARINE HELICOPTER TRANSPORT SQUADRON 777 (HMR-777).
Redesignated 1 April 1962 as MARINE MEDIUM HELICOPTER SQUADRON 777 (HMM-777).
Redesignated 1 September 1971 as MARINE HEAVY HELICOPTER SQUADRON 777 (HMH-777).
NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION STREAMER
1982 – 1984
Nicknames: “Flying Armadillos”
ID Code: 7D 1959-68*; 5D 1968-72*; QM 1972-80; * Station Code: 7D/5D Dallas, TX
Aircraft: HTL; HUS (UH-34D); CH-53A/D