C TROOP 2/17 AIRCAV AH-1G Model
Fly with C-Troop again in this hand crafted AH-1G model. Each piece is carved from wood and hand painted to provide a piece you’ll love.
Troop A, 17th Cavalry was reconstituted on 1 September 1957 in the Regular Army and consolidated with the 82d Airborne Reconnaissance Company and the consolidated unit designated as Troop A, 17th Cavalry, an element of the 82d Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC. It was reorganized and redesignated on 25 May 1964 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 1st Squadron, 17th Cavalry (organic elements constituted 6 March 1964 and activated 25 May 1964). Troop B, 1st Squadron, 17th Cavalry was the ground reconnaissance element of the 3d Brigade Task Force, 82d Airborne Division in Vietnam. It arrived in Vietnam on 18 February 1968 and departed on 11 December 1969.
Troop B, 17th Cavalry was reconstituted on 25 April 1957 in the Regular Army and consolidated with the 101st Airborne Reconnaissance Troop and the consolidated unit designated as Troop B, 17th Cavalry, an element of the 101st Airborne Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 3 February 1964 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 2d Squadron, 17th Cavalry, and remained assigned to the 101st Airborne Division (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated as elements of the 101st Airborne Division) at Fort Campbell, KY. The 2d Squadron, 17th Cavalry was originally deployed to Vietnam on 12 December 1967 as the ground cavalry squadron of the 101st Airborne Division, but as the division changed to an airmobile mode the squadron was converted to an air cavalry status during the period December 1968 – June 1969. Troops A, B and C (airmobile aviation) thus joined the squadron in March 1969 to complete the conversion. It should be noted that the previous Troop A (ground reconnaissance) had been serving the 1st Brigade of the division since 29 July 1965. The entire squadron was involved in intense aerial combat during the Operation Lam Son 719 invasion of Laos, when the helicopters supported the Army of the Republic of Vietnam’s drive and retreat directly. This action took place between February and April 1971. In 1970-71 the squadron raised provisional air cavalry Troops E and F. The squadron departed Vietnam on 8 February 1972.
In 1965 Troop A, 2d Squadron, 17th Cavalry, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division was given a Valorous Unit Award for Operation Harrison Tua Hoa Vietnam, Meritorious Unit Citation, and later after being employed for recon scout patrols in the Toumoroung battle to defend a Special Forces outpost and the Vietnamese company on the edge of complete destruction. Troop A deployed under the command of Captain Bill Carpenter, who called in napalm air strikes on his own position as it was being overrun. Departing from this battle, Troop A patrols were tasked to rescue and reinforce Lieutenant Colonel David Hackworth’s Tiger Force (the battalion recon platoon of the 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry) of 45 soldiers who had been overrun and outnumbered 40 or more to 1. The 80 men of Troop A were at that time deployed in reconnaissance efforts along the Ho Chi Minh Trail and throughout the Dak To Province. Each of the 12 patrols rendezvoused with a chopper flight to fight their way in to rescue and re-enforce Tiger Force. The scout’s radio frequency was changed to Tiger Force as it did every time the scouts were officially attached to another unit. Troop A was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for heroism during this battle by President Lyndon Johnson.[clarification needed] The unit was also awarded, as attached reinforcements under the command of Lieutenant Colonel David Hackworth, the South Vietnamese Presidential Citation. 8000 combat helicopter missions were flown during this three-week battle.
Troop C, 17th Cavalry was reconstituted 1 March 1957 in the Regular Army and consolidated with the 11th Airborne Reconnaissance Company and the consolidated unit designated as Troop C, 17th Cavalry, an element of the 11th Airborne Division (later designated as the 11th Air Assault Division). It was relieved 1 July 1958 from assignment to the 11th Airborne Division when the 11th was inactivated in southern Germany and its elements reflagged as the 24th Infantry Division and inactivated on 15 November 1958. Troop C was reactivated for a short period (16 March 1962 to 16 January 1963) at Fort Knox, KY, before the lineage was redesignated on 1 February 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3d Squadron, 17th Cavalry, and remained assigned to the 11th Air Assault Division (Test)(organic elements concurrently constituted). Troop B, 3d Squadron, 17th Cavalry, was activated on 7 February 1963 at Fort Rucker, AL, while the rest of the squadron (less Troop B) was activated on 19 March 1964 at Fort Benning, GA. The squadron was relieved from assignment to the 11th Air Assault Division (Test) on 30 June 1965 and inactivated the next day. The assets of the 11th Air Assault Division and the 2d Infantry Division were merged and reflagged as the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), and within several months the division was sent to Vietnam. The squadron was reactivated on 25 November 1966 at Fort Knox, KY, and was organized with Troops A, B, and C as air cavalry and Troop D as ground cavalry.
The 3d Squadron, 17th Cavalry arrived in Vietnam on 30 October 1967 and was assigned to the 12th Aviation Group, 1st Aviation Brigade, primarily stationed at Dĩ An. It was responsible for air cavalry support in the western part of III Corps Tactical Zone. On 20 July 1970 it was placed under the control of II Field Force, Vietnam. In January 1971 Troop C was transferred to the 7th Squadron, 1st Cavalry. Troops A, B and D departed Vietnam together in April 1972 and Troop C rejoined them for the redeployment. In late 1970 the squadron was placed under the operational control of the 1st Cavalry Division and, when combined with the division’s 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry, enabled the 1st Cavalry Division to form an ad hoc air cavalry brigade – a highly successful innovation. The squadron was inactivated on 19 June 1973 at Fort Lewis, WA.
Troop D, 17th Cavalry was initially in Vietnam as the ground reconnaissance element of the 199th Infantry Brigade (Light), arriving on 13 December 1966 and departing on 12 October 1970. The unit was raised as an air cavalry troop from the assets of Troop D, 3d Squadron, 5th Cavalry to support the 101st Airborne Division. This second tour lasted from 15 December 1971 to 20 March 1972. Finally, the unit was activated again on 30 April 1972 using the assets of Troop D, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry to serve the 11th Aviation Group at Da Nang. It departed Vietnam on 26 February 1973.
Troop E, 17th Cavalry was the ground reconnaissance element of the 173d Airborne Brigade, arriving in Vietnam from Okinawa on 6 May 1965. The troop was colocated with the brigade throughout its service in Vietnam and departed on 14 August 1971.
Troop F, 17th Cavalry was the ground reconnaissance element of the 196th Infantry Brigade (Light), arriving in Vietnam from Fort Devens, MA, on 26 August 1965. The troop was colocated with the brigade throughout its service in Vietnam and departed on 31 March 1972. Initially the unit was equipped with jeeps carrying mounted 106mm guns. Later Troop F was equipped with APCs, and in November 1969 it was outfitted, in addition to its APCs, with M551 Sheridans, M114 scout vehicles and APCs equipped with 106mm mounted guns (one per platoon), converting them into Armored Cavalry Assault Vehicles (ACAV).
The lineage of Troop G, 17th Cavalry, was perpetuated by HHT, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry which arrived in Vietnam from Fort Knox, KY, on 28 October 1967 and was attached to the 17th Aviation Group at Pleiku. It moved to Đắk Tô Base Camp in March 1968 and in May returned to Pleiku. In September 1969 the squadron was relocated to Kontum, moved to Dragon Mountain in November, and in January 1970 the unit returned to Pleiku. In March 1971 it went to Qui Nhon and in late 1971 it was posted to An Son. The following troops and companies served with the squadron in Vietnam:
Troop A (Air Cav), October 1967 – July 1971, transferred to the 10th Aviation Battalion
Troop B (Air Cav), October 1967 – July 1971, transferred to the 52d Aviation Battalion
Troop C (Air Cav), July 1968 – April 1972, assets transferred to Troop H, 10th Cavalry
Troop D (Ground), October 1967 – July 1971, transferred to the 52d Aviation Battalion
61st Aviation Company (Assault Helicopter), July 1971 – March 1972, departed Vietnam
129th Aviation Company (Assault Helicopter), July 1971 – April 1972, transferred to the 17th Aviation Group
180th Aviation Company (Assault Support Helicopter), March 1972 – April 1972, transferred to the 17th Aviation Group
Troop H, 10th Cavalry (Air Cav), April 1972, transferred to the 17th Aviation Group
Troop D, 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry (Air Cav), July 1971 – February 1972, departed Vietnam
The 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry departed Vietnam on 18 April 1972.
Troop H, 17th Cavalry was initially the ground reconnaissance element of the 198th Infantry Brigade (Light), arriving in Da Nang aboard Military Sea Transports on 22 October 1967 from Fort Hood, TX, where it has been formed from units of the 1st and 2d Armored Divisions. Troop H departed Vietnam on 1 October 1971. It was re-raised in Vietnam from the assets of Troop B, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry and served a second tour in Vietnam from 30 April 1972 to 26 February 1973 under the 17th Aviation Group at Pleiku.
Troop K, 17th Cavalry arrived in Vietnam on 1 October 1970 as an air cavalry unit of the 17th Aviation Group in Nha Trang. It departed Vietnam in December 1970.