41st Air Refueling Squadron Griffiss 00355 Statue of Liberty KC-135R
Fly with the 41st Air Refueling Squadron Griffiss 00355 Statue of Liberty in this hand crafted KC-135R model. Each piece is carefully carved from wood to provide a piece you’ll love.
- Length – 18 inches
- Made from Mahogany
- US Veteran Owned Business
World War II
Activated 1 April 1944 at Dalhart Army Airfield, Texas. Initially equipped with B-17 Flying Fortresses for training, due to shortage of B-29 Superfortresses. Moved to Harvard Army Airfield, Nebraska, in August 1944 and equipped with B-29B limited production aircraft.
After completion of training deployed to Central Pacific Area (CPA), assigned to XXI Bomber Command, Northwest Field (Guam) for operational missions. B-29Bs were standard production aircraft stripped of most defensive guns to increase speed and bomb load, The tail gun was aimed and fired automatically by the new AN/APG-15B radar fire control system that detected the approaching enemy plane and made all the necessary calculations.
Flew last combat mission on 15 August 1945, later flew in “Show of Force” mission on 2 September 1945 over Tokyo Bay during formal Japanese Surrender. Inactivated on Guam 15 April 1946, personnel returned to the United States and aircraft sent to storage in Southwest United States.
Air Force Reserve
Allotted to the Air Force Reserve as a Tactical Air Command B-26 Invader light bomb group in 1947. Inactivated in 1949 due to budget restrictions.
Stationed at Griffiss AFB, the squadron provided air refueling to Strategic Air Command and other tactical aircraft using KC-135 Stratotankers (1966-1976) on a worldwide scale.