1st Helicopter Squadron UH-1N Model
Fly with the 1st Helicopter Squadron in this UH-1N model. Each piece is carved from wood and painted to provide a one of kind piece. Our pieces seek to recreate memories of these glorious aircraft.
Length – 16 inches
The 1st Helicopter Squadron is a United States Air Force unit based at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland reporting to the 316th Operations Group, administratively controlled by Air Force District of Washington.
The 1st Helicopter Squadron’s primary mission is to be prepared to evacuate high-ranking personnel from the Capital area in the event of a national emergency. It also supports Washington D.C. area airlift for high-ranking Executive Branch, dignitaries, military leaders and other VIPs. The squadron also supports search and rescue missions.
World War II
The squadron was first activated in February 1944 as the 1st Fighter Reconnaissance Squadron and equipped with a mix of P-51 fighter and F-6 reconnaissance Mustangs. It trained for operations with Third Air Force and trained at the Army Air Force School of Applied Tactics. Moved to India, September–November 1944 assigned to Tenth Air Force. Combat in CBI, 14 February-9 May 1945. After May 1945 in training. Returned to the US during October— November 1945.
The 1st flew combat missions in the China Burma India Theater from 14 February to 9 May 1945 as a fighter unit.
The squadron was consolidated with the 1st Helicopter Squadron in September 1985.
Capital area helicopter airlift
The Air Force’s use of helicopters to transport ‘distinguished persons’ in the Capital area go back to August 1955, when Military Air Transport Service organized the 1401st Helicopter Flight at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland. In July 1957, a helicopter from the 1401st landed on the lawn of the White House to transport President Eisenhower, marking the unit’s first presidential airlift flight. In October 1957, the flight was transferred to Headquarters Command, which required renumbering it as the 1001st Helicopter Flight.[note 2] The flight moved to Bolling Air Force Base in 1963. Expanding demands for helicopter airlift resulted in the flight expanding to the 1001st Helicopter Squadron. On 7 September 1968 the 1001st returned its operations to Andrews.
The squadron received the Air Force’s flying safety award in 1963. In 1966, it dropped supplies to snowbound civilians following a blizzard.
In 1969 Headquarters Command replaced the 1001st, which was a MAJCON (four-digit) unit and could not continue its history, with a unit controlled by Headquarters, USAF, which could continue its history. The conversion was one of unit category and number only and the new squadron would continue the mission and assume the manning and resources of the discontinuing 1001st. The new squadron was entitled to all the awards earned by the 1001st, but not its lineage.[note 3]
New squadron assumes helicopter airlift mission
Since activation in 1969 the 1st Helicopter Squadron has provided local airlift for the Executive Department, high-ranking dignitaries, and distinguished visitors, as well as support for emergency evacuation of key government officials, search and rescue, and emergency medical evacuation. The squadron maintains a helicopter on alert for short notice mission assignments.
In January 1983 Air Florida Flight 90 crashed into the 14th Street bridge during a blizzard. The squadron participated in the following relief efforts despite the unfavorable weather conditions at the time.
Currently the squadron operates Bell UH-1N Twin Huey helicopters acquired in the early 1970s. Air Force Space Command also operates the UH-1N and has proposed the Common Vertical Lift Support Platform (CVLSP) program to seek a replacement to their UH-1Ns. On 24 September 2018, the United States Air Force announced that the MH-139 had won a competition to replace the Air Force’s Vietnam-era UH-1Ns.