4 inch 134th Fighter Squadron The Green Mountain Boys Patch – Sew On
The 134th Fighter Squadron (134 FS) is a unit of the Vermont Air National Guard 158th Fighter Wing located at Burlington Air National Guard Base, Burlington, Vermont. From 1986 to 2019, the 134th FS were equipped with the General Dynamics Block 30 F-16C/D Fighting Falcon. The last F-16s departed Burlington on 6 April 2019 in preparation for the Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II which arrived on 19 September 2019.
A 134th Observation Squadron was active at Ethan Allen Army Airfield, Fort Ethan Allen 44°30′14″N 73°09′41″W, Burlington, Vermont as a Vermont National Guard reconnaissance unit for the United States Army 7th Field Artillery Regiment in 1921-27, but does not officially share the current squadron’s lineage. The current unit officially traces its history to the 384th Bombardment Squadron (Light), activated in March 1942. The redesignated 134th Fighter Squadron, allocated to the Vermont ANG, has been flying fighters since 1946, though with a short exception as a defenses systems testing unit, 1974-1980.
Constituted 384th Bombardment Squadron (Light) on 28 January 1942
Activated on 2 March 1942
Re-designated: 384th Bombardment Squadron (Dive) on 27 July 1942
Re-designated: 530th Fighter-Bomber Squadron on 30 September 1943
Re-designated: 530th Fighter Squadron on 30 May 1944
Inactivated on 16 February 1946
Re-designated: 134th Fighter Squadron, and allotted to Vermont ANG, on 24 May 1946
Extended federal recognition 14 August 1946
Federalized and ordered to active service on: 10 February 1951
Released from active duty and returned to Vermont state control, 1 November 1952
Re-designated: 134th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 1 November 1952
Re-designated: 134th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron on 9 June 1974
Re-designated: 134th Tactical Fighter Squadron on 1 January 1982
Re-designated: 134th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron on 1 July 1987
Re-designated: 134th Fighter Squadron on 15 March 1992
Components designated as: 134th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron when deployed as part of an Air and Space Expeditionary unit after June 1996.